An interface that allows dynamic queries has these properties (according to C. Williamson und B. Shneiderman [Williamson and Shneiderman, 1992]):
- Graphical representation of the request
- the graphical visualisation of the database and searching results
- delivers results immediately when several parameters are changed
- visualizes result borders (min-max)
- allows beginners a faster entrance without having much practice, and still offers experts some mighty functions
- Range Slider Flash demo by Samuel Wan
- [Shneiderman, 1994]: Shneiderman, Ben, Dynamic Queries for Visual Information Seeking, in IEEE Software, 11(6): 70-77, 1994.
- [Spence, 2007] Robert Spence, Information Visualization - Design for Interaction, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education Limited, Essex, UK, 2007, p. 235.
- [Williamson and Shneiderman, 1992] C. Williamson, B. Shneiderman. The Dynamic HomeFinder: Evaluating Dynamic Queries in a Real-Estate Information Exploration System. In Proceedings of the 15th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, pages 339 – 346, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 21-24, ACM, 1992.